Clerical (Medical Office) Assistant (req5031)
The University of Saskatchewan values diversity, and Indigenous engagement is a strategic priority.
Department: Family Medicine (Saskatoon)
Employment Group: CUPE 1975
Shift: Monday-Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm
Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 1.0
Salary Information: The salary range, based on 1.0 FTE, is $20.12 - 24.15 per hour (Operational Services/Phase 3). The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Posted Date: 10/2/2019
Closing Date: Until Filled.
Number of Openings: 1
Primary Purpose: This position is to provide clinical and medical reception duties, and clerical support to family medicine physicians and residents in a primary health care (family practice) outpatient setting. Primary health care is a broad approach to health care, with many professionals working together in an integrated interdisciplinary team. This position will be a member of this team, helping to improve the quality of care to this community.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Clinic Manager, this position is located in a busy family medicine outpatient clinic in a primary health care facility. This Department of Academic Family Medicine (University of Saskatchewan) clinic is located at the West Winds Primary Health Centre, Saskatoon. The incumbent will be expected to learn all aspects about primary health care, with an emphasis on reception duties for the entire WWPHC facility and electronic filing in the clinics electronic medical record (EMR) for the Department of Academic Family Medicine; also working closely with patients, clinic nurses, physicians, family medicine residents and medical students in the provision of family practice services. The tasks require the application of sound working knowledge and skills. The work is varied and moderately complex. As a result some planning, review and follow-up of tasks is required.
Typical Duties or Accountabilities:
- General reception duties
- Greeting patients/clients/visitors for West Winds Primary Health Center
- Greeting and checking in patients for Academic Family Medicine
- Interacting with the public, staff and learners
- Answering phones and directing calls
- Booking patient appointments
- Updating demographic information in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system
- Scanning (electronic filing) of incoming mail and faxes to the EMR
- Complete tasks assigned by physician, residents and staff related to booking and rebooking patients, patient visit reminders
- Confirm appointments for various visits
- Record management
- Organize review and distribute daily room assignments
- Prepare exam rooms for daily clinics
- Direct patients to exam rooms
- Assist in patient bookings, x-ray, ultrasounds and follow up appointments
- Provide patients with preparatory education for appointments
- Prepare lab tests to be couriered to hospital
- Take height, weights, blood pressure measurements, and visual acuity
- File patient records and related documents (paper and electronic)
- Set up for procedures such as excisions, IUD insertions, suturing and liquid nitrogen
- Perform clinic lab testing which includes urinalysis dip stick tests, urine culture and sensitivity, pregnancy tests, and in clinic glucose testing
- Perform (lab testing)
- Respond to enquiries from patients and clinic staff
- Stock and clean exam and treatment rooms
- Assist with inventory control, sample collection, Echo Cardiograms (ECGs)
- Aid and assist physicians, residents and nurses during patient examinations and treatments, enquire regarding test results, and return patient calls
- Order medical supplies, medication, and other related clinic materials
- Wipe down exam table, counters and equipment after procedures and pelvic exams
- Weekly cleaning of exam tables
- Collect and dispose of biohazard materials, while complying with appropriate Biohazard regulations
- Maintain and update vaccination lists
- Restock injection area
- Communicate with technical support for EMR (Med Access issues)
- Check and restock nursing home / home visit bag
- Review and revise physician procedure list
- Orientate residents / medical students / new staff
- Other duties as assigned
Education: Completion of Grade 12 and a certified Medical Office Assistant (MOA) course is required; relevant and equivalent on the job training and experience in a family physician or primary health environment may be considered.
Experience: Minimum of three years of recent experience working in a family practice clinic or primary health care clinic and dealing with a wide range of the public is required. Working in a computerized environment is a must. Experience working in diverse and inclusive environments is required. Experience working with an electronic medical record (EMR - preferably Med Access) and knowledge of medical terminology would be definite assets.
Individuals hired in this position must be able to learn the specifics of their assigned roles, as role specific skills will be taught on the job. Ability to perform moderately demanding physical work may be required
Skills: Clear and effective communication (oral and written English language), organizational and time management and people skills; the ability to apply discretion with confidential information. A good working knowledge of word processing with proficient keyboarding skills and attention to detail. Familiarity with computer systems and a very good working knowledge of an electronic medical record.
Inquiries regarding this position can be directed to Colleen Brockbank at 306-655-4202.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. The University must, however, comply with federal immigration requirements. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.