Applications are invited from qualified individuals for a full time, 2-year term appointment at the rank of Assistant Librarian with the University Library, University of Saskatchewan.
The successful candidate will be assigned the following responsibilities:
- Increasing the usability, discovery and access of data, government pubs, maps and GIS resources through reference, research consultations, workshops, instruction, online research guides, and outreach
- Enhancing and managing existing data, government publications, and maps collections
- Collaboratively developing a web-archiving approach for digital Saskatchewan government publications
- Reviewing, assessing and selecting GIS/map/data-related software, systems, and/or services
- Working with other library staff on project teams and committees
- Developing professional knowledge and skills on a continuing basis
- Liaison duties in related discipline(s) is a possibility
About the University Library
As one of Canada’s leading research libraries, the University Library serves as the intellectual hub of the University of Saskatchewan, providing resources, services, and spaces that facilitate discovery and promote student success. Our faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and flexible work environment in a time of significant change including the arrival of new library Dean and emerging University and Library strategic plans. The University Library is committed to developing inclusive and accessible services and resources to support our diverse clientele, with a strategic focus on Indigenous peoples. We seek applicants who embrace innovative and collaborative approaches to solving problems and advancing services. For more information visit library.usask.ca.
About the University of Saskatchewan and Saskatoon
The University of Saskatchewan’s main campus is situated on Treaty 6 Territory and the Homeland of the Métis. The University of Saskatchewan is located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, a city with a diverse and thriving economic base, a vibrant arts community and a full range of leisure opportunities. The University has a reputation for excellence in teaching, research and scholarly activities and offers a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs to a student population of over 24,000.
We are seeking candidates who have an ALA-accredited Master of Library and Information Science degree or equivalent. Education or experience in social sciences, geospatial or other relevant studies is an asset. Candidates must also be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of statistical and data resources, government publications, maps and/or GIS
- A commitment to high quality service
- Ability to develop and sustain effective and collaborative professional working relationships and partnerships
- Experience providing library services to students and faculty from a variety of disciplines in an academic institution
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Ability to work well both independently and in a collegial team environment.
It is preferred that the candidates also demonstrate:
- Experience providing instruction in an academic library or similar setting
- Educational background in or experience with GIS and/or statistical software packages (e.g. NVivo, Atlas.ti, ArcGIS, SPSS, SAS)
- Reference, research consultation and collections experience in related disciplines
- Knowledge of trends in data/GIS and resource delivery
- A commitment to developing professional knowledge and skills on a continuing basis.
The salary band for this position is: Assistant Librarian, $77,613 to $93,293.
This position includes a comprehensive benefits package which includes a dental, health and extended vision care plan; pension plan, life insurance (compulsory and voluntary), academic long term disability, sick leave, travel insurance, death benefits, an employee assistance program, a professional expense allowance, and a flexible health and wellness spending program.
Interested candidates must submit, via email, a cover letter; detailed curriculum vitae; and any supporting documents to:
Melissa Just, Dean
University of Saskatchewan
156 Murray Building, 3 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A4
Review of applications will begin February 14, 2018; however, applications will be accepted and evaluated until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2018.