The University of Saskatchewan values diversity, and Aboriginal engagement is a strategic priority.
Human Resource Coordinator
Department: College of Medicine
Status: Term, maternity leave replacement of up to 12 months, with the possibility of extension.
Open Date: 10/5/2017
Salary Information: The salary range is CAD $49,500.00 - 81,750.00 per annum (Salary Band/Phase 2). The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Description: There is 1 opening for this posting. Located in Saskatoon.
Primary Purpose: The Human Resource Coordinator provides high-level, administrative support and coordination to the Human Resource Team embedded within the College of Medicine.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Strategic Business Advisors (SBA’s), the Human Resource Coordinator works in a team-oriented, high-volume office setting with multiple and competing demands and deadlines. Establishing and maintaining a high level of professional relationships that support exceptional collaboration and problem solving, and the ability to exercise professional judgment to make recommendations and decisions regarding issues or special assignments, is essential for success in this complex position. Considerable discretion and judgment are required as this position is privy to and handles sensitive and highly confidential information. Judgment is used to determine the appropriate guidelines and procedures. The position is responsible for ensuring day-to-day work, including information provided to both internal and external stakeholders, is completed accurately. The Human Resource Coordinator can expect to interact with employees at all levels of the organization, maintaining first point of contact for all Human Resource inquiries within the portfolio. The environment is complex and fast-paced with shifting priorities and frequent interruptions. The incumbent will be required to work under minimal direction, and will use independent judgment to ensure the SBA’s are supported in their work. Attention to detail is critical, as impact of error is high. Exceptional interpersonal skills and are essential for success in this position.
- Provide full range of administrative duties and support.
- Provide front-line customer service to all who come in contact with Human Resources, triaging to the appropriate SBA as required.
- Develop, implement and maintain relevant resource systems for the Human Resources team
- Manages schedules, materials, preparation and distribution and associated logistics for the Human Resource Team
- Provides support in organizing and preparing for large meetings, retreats, training sessions and other events. This will also encompass scheduling confidential meetings; discretion and professionalism is key
- Builds and maintains exceptional working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Ensures a high level of customer service is upheld in all interactions
- Maintains awareness of office work and projects in a team-oriented setting to ensure appropriate individuals have necessary supports in place.
- Writes and edits confidential, sensitive correspondence and reports, which may include labour relations and personnel issues.
- Ensures confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Conducts regular reviews of administrative procedures and revises as needed to ensure effective time management.
- Identifies issues and risks in a timely manner, providing credible and complete information to ensure issues are addressed.
- Ensures issues and requests are addressed in a timely, respectful and effective manner.
- Anticipates problems and proactively identifies solutions.
- Effectively manages and prioritizes assigned projects to ensure completion within expected timelines.
- Understands the priorities of Human Resources and the College so as to recognize the importance of requests and deal with them in a timely manner.
- Coordinates conference and travel arrangements.
- Answers employee questions and concerns, directing as appropriate, to the appropriate channels as required.
- Plays a central role in the College recruitment process, acting as a resource and support for managers.
- Ensures managers have access to on-boarding and off boarding materials, act as support as required.
- Conduct employee exit interviews, and identify and communicate themes to SBA’s
- Gathers metrics and analytics as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education and experience: Completion of a post-secondary certificate in Human Resource, a degree is preferred. Two years of generalist Human Resource experience. Experience working in a diverse and inclusive environment is required. High standards of professional integrity in handling confidential information as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required. The demonstrated ability to support senior level administrators and to work effectively with confidential and sensitive information is essential. This position requires a high degree of understanding of university structures and processes and the demonstrated ability to make informed decisions and take action when necessary. Familiarity with university systems such as PAWS, AboutUS and UniFi are assets.
Skills: The successful candidate must be a multi-tasker who understands priorities and has proven problem-solving abilities; is creative; outgoing and versatile; demonstrates an aptitude for working in a team-oriented atmosphere; possesses communication skills (both verbal and written), exemplary interpersonal skills, and exhibits strong attention to detail; possesses exceptional relationship building skills, is able to work independently and possesses a high standard of professional integrity in handling sensitive information. Demonstrated knowledge of PC-based computer applications (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and strong internet research skills are required.
This position is not in scope of any bargaining unit.
Inquiries regarding this position can be directed to Lauren Grant at 306-966-1069.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.