The University of Saskatchewan values diversity, and Aboriginal engagement is a strategic priority.
Chef de Partie
Department: Culinary Services
Status: 12 month Term with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent
Shift: Shifts are subject to change with business demands and include early mornings, evenings and weekends.
Open Date: 7/26/2017
Salary Information: The salary range is CAD $3,071.03 - 3,683.59 per month (Ancillary Services Phase 2). The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Description: There is 1 opening for this posting. Located in Saskatoon.
Primary Purpose: Reporting to the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef this position is involved in food production as well as providing supervision in the kitchen, ensuring the efficient operation as it relates to residential dining, retail operations, catering and special events. This position assists in all areas of the kitchen as required. Assists, directs and supervises ensuring Cooks are following procedures in the areas of food production, quality assurance, safe food handling, workplace safety, cleaning standards, and workplace policy. The incumbent will also participate as an active and supportive member of the Culinary Services group to enhance our student and workplace experience.
Nature of Work: Application of sound working knowledge and skill are required as the work is varied, moderately complex and requires a high level of physical demand. Problems experienced are more varied and the incumbent is expected to solve them within known methods and practices. Though referring problems to a supervisor is acceptable, an effort to solve basic problems first is expected. Communications are of a factual nature and typically occur on a one-on-one basis. They involve contact with students and faculty with strong emphasis on modeling customer service, and contact with supervisors and co-workers with strong emphasis on factual and accurate information exchange. The incumbent is expected to work effectively and cooperatively with others and to work out differences with others when issues arise. The on-going development of team skills is also expected, with emphasis on supporting others. The incumbent works independently with direct support from the supervisor with minimal supervision or direction, though the Assistant Director/Executive Chef and Sous Chef may determine the tasks to be assigned and the standards to be applied from time to time. The incumbent supports the supervisor in training those in phase one positions, coaching and mentoring them as appropriate. Applies and follows set standards and procedures. May be responsible for compliance for external regulations. This position works in a standing position for extended periods of time, is in a fast-paced environment working under pressure and with multiple deadlines; uses and moves kitchen equipment; will work evenings and weekends; and schedule is subject to change on a weekly basis.
- Ensures quality control and assurance in regards to food production
- Ensures catering contracts are fulfilled to the standards and food specifications as outlined in the menus, recipes and/or food specification manuals
- Ensures compliance with workplace policies and kitchen procedures by junior staff
- Leads and motivates by example; and works cooperatively with other staff to ensure seamless customer service, which includes but is not limited to covering sick and vacation time
- Treats all confidential information and materials in a confidential manner
- Communicates issues of importance or concern to the immediate supervisor in a timely manner
- Collaborates with others as required to complete assignments and support team efforts
- Works to resolve conflicts and maintain harmony among co-workers
- Effectively manages assigned projects as directed
- Sets priorities for own work, assists in setting priorities for kitchen areas and meets deadlines
- Complies with all relevant legislation, regulations, policies and procedures and exercises judgment in the application thereof
- Oversees and provides leadership to junior cooks and assigns work as needed
- Monitors catering contract boards for contract details and changes and executes catered events (plate and buffet service banquets, deliveries, receptions, President’s Residence) assisting in all areas of the kitchen (hot kitchen, cold kitchen, bakeshop)
- Provides assistance in production, preparation, and service for the residential dining program as outlined in the Food Services recipe and production manuals
- Orders products as outlined in the production book or based on business demands, on a daily basis
- Ensures proper storage of food, rescheduling of leftovers
- Maintains clean/quality workplace standards and ensures sanitation levels are maintained
- Ensures and practices safe use and maintenance of kitchen equipment (i.e. fryers, ovens, steamers, grills, slicers, kitchen knives, Hobart mixers, etc.)
- Assists in enforcing policies and rules of the kitchen area, making or communicating corrections when necessary to fix problems in a proactive manner
- Contributes to menu creation
- Assists Jr. Sous Chefs, Sous Chef, and Executive Chef ensuring a team approach to production in all areas of the food service operation as required
Education: A Food Safe Certificate is required. Must be WHMIS certified. Completion of a recognized culinary program is an asset. Preference will be given to those possessing a Red Seal Journeyman Cook Certificate. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Experience: Minimum three years’ experience in food production within a full service multi-unit operation as well as a proven track record of maintaining high standards of productivity and efficiency in the culinary field are required. Experience in a supervisory or management capacity as a Chef de Partie in a full scale food service operation is essential.
Skills: Effective communication, organizational, and time management skills; ability to perform moderate to heavy lifting; the ability to motivate and lead by example; ability to work effectively and cooperatively with others and to work out differences with others when issues arise; and the on-going development of team skills is expected, with emphasis on supporting others.
A practical cooking demonstration will be required as part of the interview and selection process for candidates who are short listed.
This position is in scope of CUPE 1975.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.