The University of Saskatchewan values diversity, and Aboriginal engagement is a strategic priority.
Department: IT Support Services
Status: Term, up to 12 months, with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent
Open Date: 8/1/2017
Closing Date: 8/22/2017
Salary Information: The salary range is CAD $47,386.00 - 74,042.00 per annum (Information Technology/Phase 1). The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Description: There is 1 opening(s) for this posting. Located in Saskatoon.
Primary Purpose: To provide campus wide IT support to faculty, staff and students. This position provides basic support, repair and troubleshooting to guide and support clients in the effective use of desktop, laptop, mobile devices, software applications and services to ensure fluid uninterrupted access to University of Saskatchewan’s IT resources and services. This requires analyzing information about a user issue to prioritize and determine the best way to resolve the problem, escalate incidents if necessary, to resolve issues quickly and appropriately. The Support Specialist applies strong customer service and communication skills to deliver verbal and written information for technical and non-technical users and works collaboratively with stakeholders and team members from across campus to provide a high level of consistent customer service.
Nature of Work: IT Support Services within Client Services supports faculty, staff, researchers and students in the effective use of desktop, laptop, mobile devices, software applications and services across the University. As a member of the IT Support Services team, this position reports to the Manager, IT Support Services and receives day-to-day guidance from the Team Lead, IT Support Services. This position provides level 1 support, using remote access when appropriate, and may also provide level 2 and 3 support where configuration solutions have already been documented. This requires working closely with clients, team members and stakeholders. Support is provided face-to-face or via telephone, remote access tools, e-mail and chat. Problem resolution will involve the use of diagnostic and IT help request tracking tools. The position requires a strong practical base of knowledge and experience supporting numerous desktop operating systems and applications in an enterprise-networked environment. This position will require rotating, scheduled work periods within different areas and departments found within Client Services. Periodic evening or weekend work is involved.
- Support faculty, staff, researchers and students with computer and network use, email, common applications, research and applications specific to each department, face-to-face or per remote access.
- Escalate all project and non-core related requests to supervisor for evaluation.
- Ensure every IT related support request is captured and recorded within ICT’s official ticket response tracking system (Tracks).
- Install, manage and support endpoint equipment based on Windows, Macintosh, and mobile operating systems including iOS, and Android.
- Provide level 1 support and provide support for identified level 2 and 3 issues where configuration solution have already been documented.
- Gather and analyze information about the user issue and determine the best way to resolve the problem. Escalate to the appropriate group if necessary.
- Follow processes and document new knowledge in a central location.
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to improve future incidents.
- Build rapport with customers.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Access knowledge bases and FAQ resources on the Internet/Intranet to aid in incident resolution.
- Develop and post documentation related to customized tasks, procedures and services that relate to your position and to the areas in which you are working.
- Stay current and take part in training opportunities as directed by your Manager, IT Support Services.
- Perform other related duties or projects as required.
Education: A University degree in Computer Science or a related field, or a two-year Diploma program with significant direct experience. Microsoft, Mac, CompTIA PDI+, A+ or similar certifications will be considered an asset. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Experience: A minimum of one (1) to (3) years direct experience-supporting technology in a University or corporate setting. Experience providing hands on level 1 and 2 support installing, configuration and troubleshooting operating systems and applications under Windows, Macintosh and Linux. Experience in installing and supporting mobile technology solutions in an enterprise along with networked point of sale systems would be considered an asset. Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Skills: Strong customer service and communication skills in English to deliver verbal and written information for technical and non-technical users. Active listening, questioning skills, and strong documentation skills. Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment. Ability to deal with a range of technologies (e.g., video and web conferencing systems, web browsers, email, calendaring, mobile devices, printers). Ability to solve technical problems S/W & H/W. Effective time management skills, including the ability to work on several tasks at once and to deal with multiple competing priorities. Familiarity with the campus, the campus network, and the campus implementation of Blackboard and Luminis portal (PAWS) will be considered assets.
This position is in scope of ASPA.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.